This year, we offer you a concentrated festival comprising, almost entirely, of original productions that will flood the imagination with additional, possible realities. A festival that curates reality through meticulously produced artworks, expands your mind and also tries, wherever possible, to influence that reality in return. During the three weeks of Mekudeshet 2018—and actually at any given moment—we try to go back to our roots, to the spring or the heart of the city, and to call on everyone who believes—no matter what—to come to Jerusalem, to come find what is sacred for them, to come in peace.Tongues of Fire
Why do we do what we do where we do what we do? (Or in short, what’s our agenda in ten short sentences)
1. We love Jerusalem. It’s our home, our inspiration, our motivation, and the dream that we are trying to turn into a reality.
2. We at Mekudeshet understand that everything in this city is complicated. One person’s liberation is another person’s subjugation. The right of one person to exist is liable to arouse an existential fear in another.
3. We are aware that Jerusalem is far from being perfect and just. This is not new and difficult to rectify, but we want things to be different and feel that we have the right and the obligation to try to make this happen.
4. Our aspiration is for all residents of Jerusalem to enjoy basic human rights including their right to self-determination, equality and to determine their own fate.
5. We would like anybody who cares about this city to have the chance to love it, to feel that it belongs to them and that they belong to it in their own way, their own language, their own faith and on condition that they respect the rights of others.
6. We identified new opportunities and extraordinary forces that are working to bring about real change, in Jerusalem’s complex reality.
7. We are convinced that art that can carve out new paths and fuse together ideas and communities that are theoretically disconnected.
8. We view free and open creativity as the best way of inspiring us and others.
9. We believe that art is a tool that can help us imagine, reflect and create a more multilayered and open reality.
- We believe that art can open hearts and bring about positive change in the city that is sacred to us all.